- October 3, 2018
Ensure Your Foreign Employees Are Registered in Compliance with Migration Regulation Requirements
President Vladimir Putin signed the draft law on introducing changes to the procedure for migration registration of foreign citizens in Russia. It specifies the address at which a foreign national or a stateless person must register after coming to Russia, as well as who is responsible for the registration procedure.
Under the law, it is now required to inform migration authorities of the residence address of a foreign national (“place of stay that is regularly used for sleep and rest” as stated in the law).
It is still possible to register your foreign employees using the office address, provided they actually reside at the company’s premises.
Persons responsible for migration registration
The hosting party is responsible for handling registration procedures. The law defines the hosting party is the person or organization that provides housing for the foreign national. This means the employer is recognized as the hosting party only if the foreign national resides at the company’s premises (in other cases it can be an owner of the apartment, which is rented by the foreign national).
We recommend you:
- to ensure your foreign employees are registered at their residence address;
- if the owner of the apartment rented by your employee won’t handle registration procedures, we suggest preparing a power of attorney for the person who will take care of it instead.
New rules that will be effective starting from January 16, 2019
From January 16, 2019, Russian companies will have to ensure that foreign employees:
- Observe the purpose of their entry to Russia
- Depart the the Russian Federation in time
At the moment, the Government is preparing a draft Resolution with a list of measures that will have to be taken by companies inviting foreign citizens to the Russian Federation:
- Notify the foreign citizen of the need to comply with the purpose of entry into the Russian Federation and the length of stay, and inform about the liability in the event of violation of the requirements.
- Depending on the purpose of entry of the alien, to provide the necessary conditions for its implementation.
- Receive from the foreign citizen the necessary contact information (address, email, telephone).
- Notification of the foreigner about the need to leave the Russian Federation no later than 10 days before the expiration of the visa.
- Assist the foreign citizen in the event of obstacles to leaving the Russian Federation
- Inform the Ministry of Internal Affairs in the event of a violation by the foreign citizen of the purpose of entry into the Russian Federation or in the event of loss of communication with him/her within 5 working days from the moment of discovery of the relevant fact.
Please note that violation of this law results in a fine of RUB 50,000 for company’s officials and up to RUB 500,000 for legal entities in each case of a foreign national’s registration at an incorrect address.
Our specialists are ready to help with the preparation of all the necessary documents for registration of your foreign employees. Contact us for to get a consultation.
- +7 495 225-30-38 Moscow
- +7 812 244-75-49 Saint Petersburg
- +7 4822 63-00-62 Tver